Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Asianization in America

Asian Influences : Sports Influences:

-Chinese Food -2008 Beijing Olympics
-Kung Fu Panda - Kabayshi, winner of the hot dog eating contest
-Honda - Sumo Wrestling


These are some of the examples of the influences that we talked about in class. I started thinking to myself how does asianization in America influence athletes? And then my next thought was do the stereotypes that apply to Asians apply for athletes as well? For example, Asian people perform well on mathematical testing and African American men perform well in basketball. However, as I learned in class this is not completely true. Yao Ming, is an Asian superstar in basketball. In the following link is the amazing story of Yao Ming's background and how he became the basketball player he is today.
http://http://www.time.com/time/asia/2003/heroes/yao_ming.html

If nobody ever took a chance to step outside of the stereotypical box than would anyone ever succeed? I do not follow men's or women's golf but I was shocked to see that Asian women are winning the LPGA and earning the highest amount of money, because the stereotypical women's golf player is a suburban area female who grew up living in a gold community. It is great to see that these women did step outside the box and have succeeded so well for themselves. I can say for myself I can understand the influences above and how they influence people however, why do only Asian influences play such a large impact on society?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is important to ask also why there are so many Asian athletes who are excelling at this particular historical moment? The number of high ranked Korean women in the LPGA has something to do with the initial influence of Se Ri Pak, but also the factors that were outlined in the article that we had for class (by Shin & Nam, 2004). Btw, I tried the link to Yao Ming but it did not work.

    ReplyDelete