Everyone could probably say that growing up that were interested in at least one sport and followed a sports teams or professional sports player. In class on September 4th we talked about Micheal Jordan and the how we perceived the photo. A lot of the students agreed that Micheal Jordan had a huge impact on the sport of basketball growing up. I can remember always watching Mia Hamm with my sister because she a soccer player. I will also always remember when the women's united states Olympic team came to Columbus, Ohio and i got to meet them all. It would be interesting to hear the other students what they remember from their childhood.
That same week we also discussed gender testing and the whole ordeal of Casta Semenya. When I signed up for this class i knew i would be learning about gender, however i never knew what kind of discussions and topics i would learn. In the short amount of time that we have been in this class i have already learned so much about how discriminating men are towards womens sports and athletes. I can agree that pictures of Casta Semenya are very hard to distinguish between a man and women however, for a women athlete to work so hard at the sport she is so passionate about it must be so frustrating for her to always be hearing talk about her gender. I also am looking foward to hearing what the men say in our class about what sports are considered sports and which ones are feminine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's great that you got to meet all the players on the 1999 U.S. Women's World Cup soccer team. It was so exciting to follow their play. I believe that game was truly history-making for girls and women's sports--not to mention for U.S. Soccer.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the case of Caster Semenya has been quite amazing to follow. But on a personal level, it is difficult to imagine what her life must be like since having to go through the ordeal of sex testing. Having that process be open to the world is just unfathomable.