Monday, September 21, 2009
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus 9/21/09
I will never forget in high school I babysat for my french teacher and her youngest son was never interested in sports unlike his older brother. My teacher would always joke about him asking for crochet lessons and singing lessons. He once showed me this video of a guy named Nick Pitera singing and I still till this day believe this guy can sign both soprano and beratone. While most would say that he is "gay" i believe he is a man who has a strong passion for singing. While you might be thinking what does this have to do with sports?...During one of our class discussions we talked about barbie and g.i. joe. This reminded of that video because women who are not in stereotypical sports are considered "lesbians". The men n our class said that they like fimine sports because of the uniforms. I understand than men are meant to be masculine however if they were a female who enjoyed competition and other qualities of sports they may have a different outlook on female sports.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou make some very good points.
ReplyDeleteI do not believe in terming a person "not straight", if they have the interests, which are not common to a male/female, even if the person is "gay". I feel that people can be champions in many other activities, not just sports.
As far as females, who just want to have the ability to participate in any sport they want, I believe they deserve those opportunities - but not at the expense of males' opportunities - there needs to be a balance.
Yes, many men watch female athletes, because of the attire they wear, but I think many of those men appreciate them as athletes, also.
In high school during my junior and senior year there was a girl who was on my hockey team. Now yes at first I thought how was she going to match up with the boys and be able to take checks into the boards.However, she was better then most of the guys. She helped led us to the state championship and finished in the top 20 in total points in the state. So, I will defiantly never judge a girl for wanting to playing a so called "man's sport." Some girls just like the physical play and they shouldn't be judged differently just because of that.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate reading everyones' comments on these subjects. Thanks for sharing. We will be continuing to consider some of these ideas as we look at media coverage of males and females in sport.
ReplyDeleteIn highschool, I too had a girl playing on the hockey team. She wasn't terrible at the sport. I remember her outside of the game. She was very much "girly" and a lot of people would never know she was on the hockey team by looking at her. I've never had an issue with girls wanting to play guys sports and never considered them to be "gay". I think that if someone wants to play a specific sport, whether a girl or boy, they should be a loud too.
ReplyDelete