
On Tuesday's class discussion things got a bit "specific" as Dr.Spencer would word it. The topic of sex appeal is arrousing to anyone, I don't care what you say. It is a known fact, sex sells. The pictures of the " only the ball should bounce" ad's caused for a lot of different opinions and views. There is a new Rebook commerical that I recently saw and thought to myself the sex appeal in this commerical is almost taking away from the product. However, from a males perspective he might be thinking differently.
The title on youtube of this video is "sexy new rebook easytone commerical 2009.wow!!" This can already show the sex appeal with the title without even watching the clip. Is it okay for women to cause this sex appeal because women are "supposed" to be sexy.
David Beckam also reveals his sexy side with advertising armani briefs. Both of these ads represent sex appeal in different forms, yet at the same time represent a product. These ads can be in comparison to the "only the ball should bounce" ads however, does the sex appeal over power the product?
I think that men and women use sex to sell but the ads are different because men and women find different things sexy. women want to see a strong man that looks confident and men want to see a coy woman that looks mysterious and soft. I think that there is just a huge reaction when women use sex to sell because it goes against the notion of being "lady-like" I think that if men can appear in ads showing their abs then women should be able to wear a bikini with no criticism.
ReplyDeleteI think that you make a good point Casey. We all know that sex sells, but does it sometimes go too far and take away from the product? I think that in some ads/commercials/etc the product or service being sold is completely lost in the sex appeal of the ad. I think that this can be demonstrated by the fact that half of the guys in our class didn't realize that the female ad we saw in class was for a sports bra! So yes, I think sometimes the sex appeal overpowers what is trying to be promoted.
ReplyDeleteThis photo of David Beckham might be a better one to use than the one that was originally used in the study. What do you think? This link did not work either, but I think you showed the clip in your presentation, so I remember it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that sexy is a very useful tool to sell products or athletes. I recently saw the rebook advertisement and I feel that it is effective but also unrealistic. The woman does not look like a typical athlete and more like a model. Sex is used differently for men and women, and can cause problems in the way it is portrayed.
ReplyDelete