When starting to complete research for my blog I knew I wanted to write about women in the media, because previous to our class discussion I was not aware how rare it is for women to meet the front page of a news articles, magazine covers, or online websites. Unless the media is geared towards women for example Shape Magazine, women athletes have a hard time reaching the top. When I typed into google front page articles + women's sports I found it interesting that women's soccer and tennis were the first four headlines. It draws a conclusion in my head, that is it possible women do not make front page covers because there are not as many "popular" star athletes in the four main disvison of sports. For example: football, baskteball, baseball, and soccer. While women have the opportunity to exceed in basketball and softball, the other two main division sports are not even an option as professional teams go. I have posted a link of women in the media and how they are under represented. Is this website familiar to anyone? I myself do not follow womens sports, therefore I was not aware until all of our discussions in how little of credit they actually do recieve.
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/stereotyping/women_and_girls/women_coverage.cfm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for posting the link that you included with this entry. It refers to some excellent scholarship that has been done on the subject of women in sports and the media. Your suggestion that it may be due in part to the lack of visibility of the sports that women play may have something to do with it. But I wonder if it also has to do with the sports that allow women to remain "feminine" in the sports that are most publicized.
ReplyDeleteI agree that women in the media do not get the attention that is needed. When writing one of my blogs I was trying to compare the Tiger Woods story and how much media coverage it would receive if it was a women. The problem I found was that is was hard to come up with a female athlete that would compare to Tiger Woods. The reason that this is, is because of what you said in you blog that there are not that many well know female athletes.
ReplyDelete