Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Disability and Sport

Throughout this course as we have talked about different athletes with disabilities I have heard many inspiring stories. This week coincidentally I watched a new reality television show called Chance. This show has a panel of judges and they vote on giving someone an opportunity to win money for whatever they plead their case to. The winner of the episode I saw was a 16 year old boy who lost his legs in a car accident when he was 10 years old. He wanted 95,000 for an in ground swimming pool. He takes aquatic therapy twice a week to eventually help him walk again. This boy had such a positive attitude and said " a bad thing happened that would eventually be good". It amazed me that through swimming this young boy dreamed of walking again. He won the money at the end of the show and I wish him the best. This relates to our class discussion because many of the athletes also maintain a positive attitude and it amazes me that with these struggles they keep going to achieve their dreams.

3 comments:

  1. I think athletes and people like this little boy need to all ways have a positive attitude to their situation. A person with a disability to me who isn't negative about their situation is even more inspiring to me. They still set goals for themselves even if though they know it's going to be a tough road to follow. I'm with you on hoping this little kid the best with what is wants to do and that he deserves to win the money because he is taking a bad thing that happen to him and putting a positive spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a person with a disability has to stay positive and happy because if not I think the mental and physical pain of having a disability would end their lives completely. I find it to be very positive and inspiring when I see a person with a disability who has a positive, loving personality because it makes me realize that my life could be a million times worse and if they can smile about their lives then I can too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story and an excellent example of how sport intersects with disability. I tried to find something about this program on You Tube, but without any success. Can you tell me more about the show? What network was it on, and was the title simply "Chance?" Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete